The Utah Nordic Alliance (TUNA) is seeking a full-time year-round Coach/Director to lead the competition and recreational ski programs. The Coach/Director will be responsible for development of an integrated program to develop skiers from the age of 4 following the mission of the TUNA Junior Program. In addition, the Coach/Director will be a primary coach for the Junior Competition and Competition teams. Please refer to the attached position description for details. Interested applicants should review the following job description and send requested information (see application checklist) to [email protected]
The Utah Nordic Alliance (TUNA), is seeking a Head Coach.
TUNA sponsors junior competition, development, and recreational cross country ski programs based in Salt Lake City, Utah. TUNA regularly mentors, qualifies, and supports numerous competitive junior skiers to the U.S. Junior National Championships. TUNA wishes to retain a head coach who will have primary responsibility for the day to day planning, administration, and coaching of the TUNA Comp and Jr Comp programs, subject to the oversight of the Junior Program Coordinator (as designated by the TUNA Board of Trustees). The head coach will also work with the Junior Program Coordinator and assist in the planning, administration and oversight of TUNA’s development and recreational programs.
The Coach will be primarily responsible for coaching of the TUNA Comp Team and oversight of the Jr. Comp Team. The Coach will also provide oversight and limited coaching for the TUNA Fall Masters Conditioning program and the Junior Development program.
Duties will include (but will not be limited to):
- Preparing and supervising team and individual training plans for each of the Comp Team athletes.
- Administrative duties in connection with the operation of the Comp and Junior Comp teams.
- Providing coaching and waxing support for local ski races, travel with the Comp Team (for out-of-town trips), provide coaching and wax support for IMD Junior National Championship Qualifier events, and organize and lead a number of out of town training camps. The Coach will also provide support for select regional and National events.
- Planning, organization, and coach recruitment for TUNA’s Recreation and Development programs.
- Assisting the TUNA Board in team development functions and fund raising.
- Maintaining on-going communication with Comp and Jr. Comp Team athletes and their parents.
- Maintain an on-going inventory of all equipment, waxes, supplies, and other material acquired by or through TUNA for use by the Comp, Jr. Comp, and Development programs. The Coach will also assist the Junior Program Coordinator in the maintenance and inventory control for TUNA equipment used by the Recreation and Development program.
This is a year-round position that, in addition to Winter skiing activities and competitions, also includes extensive Summer and Fall dryland training and training camp responsibilities.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter, resumé, and list of three references to [email protected]
Deadline for applications is Wednesday, May 21.
Application checklist: Interested applicants should review the attached description and send the following information to [email protected]
• Briefly describe the elements of a ski program that you consider to be exceptional both in terms of ski results and athlete development (please provide specific examples of programs you have been involved in or know of).
• Briefly describe your approach to Junior ski program coaching (competition and recreational), its challenges and opportunities.
• General salary/compensation requirements.
• Provide three references (at least 2 professional).