One of U.S. Nordic Combined’s young guns, Jasper Good spent last season bouncing between the Continental Cup and World Cup, with a brief jaunt to World Junior Championships where he notched finishes of 11th and 12th.
The Steamboat Springs native just turned 20 and is gearing up for his first season outside the junior ranks.
1. Biggest change in your life in the last five or so months since the ski season ended?
I started taking classes at the University of Utah, got to start sometime!
2. Biggest change in your training?
I have chosen to have more of a focus on the ski jumping side of my training plan than I have in the past.
3. Major areas of improvement you’ve seen so far?
In the last couple months my jumping has made great strides along with my overall XC performance!
4. Whom you’ve been working closest with this offseason (coaches or training partners)?
The last couple months I was in Europe with Adam Loomis, Ben Berend, Grant Andrews, Koby Vargas and Taylor Fletcher for a short stint. We were coached by Martin Bayer and Nik Huber.
5. Best trip in the last five months (and why)?
The trip I just returned from in Central Europe. We rented an apartment in Slovenia for about two months and made short trips to Ramsau, AUT and Oberstdorf, GER.
6. Favorite cross-training?
Mountain Biking hands down. I may not be as good as I would like but I love it!
7. Favorite non-athletic activity or pastime this summer?
Hanging with family or friends, whether its at a concert or on a fun adventure ‘vacation’!
8. Song that was your jam this summer?
Left Hand Free – alt J / also our EU camp jam this fall was Aquarius Apocalyptic by Stop Light Observations.
9. All-time favorite race moment?
Last year in the Seefeld Triple WC I skied with one of the fastest guys on the circuit for longer than I ever had and logged my best race time!
10. First thing you pack in your bag when you leave for Europe?
Peanut Butter and Cholula
11. Venue/event you’re most excited to visit this season?
Ramsau, AUT. It’s one of my favorite places to go anytime of the year for training and competitions. Amazing place.
12. Who will win the World Cup title this year?
I would have to put my money on a repeat title for Eric Frenzel, but I’m seeing a strong performance from Bryan Fletcher with his new ‘baby boost’.
13. Biggest sacrifice you feel you’ve made choosing this career path?
I’m sure you hear this a lot but the social aspect of someone my age. The Nordic Combined world is a small world so we may not have as many opportunities to make lots of friends but our NC community are great friends!!
14. If you could change one thing about your sport, what would it be?
I would add some more technical features to the downhill of our cross-country races, just to keep things exciting. Oh and have competitions in the US!!!
15. What did you have for breakfast this morning?
A sunny side up egg with smoked salmon, and a banana with Peanut Butter!
16. In 5 years, I’ll be ____?
I will just have turned 25 so I will have to go rent my first car from Hertz.
17. In 50 years, I’ll be ____?
Tele skiing daily.